Friday, January 30, 2009

Cure the Winter Time Blues



I was reading one of my friends blogs about how she was going thru the winter time blues right now and asked for some suggestions on how to cure this blah feeling most of us go thru this time of the year. Since then I've thought about my blah feelings and some ideas to get me and my restless kids thru the end of winter and into spring. Here are some suggestions I've read about and thought of for myself.
  • Play a board game or cards with your family
  • Always have something to look forward too - start planning
  • Spray a citrus scented room freshener or light a summer scented candle
  • Brighten up your home by opening the shades
  • Surprise your spouse with an unplanned date
  • Get up and start moving - go for a walk, find an indoor track if it's too cold outside
  • Try a new dessert recipe
  • Go shopping - beware this can be dangerous
  • Plan a service project for you or your family to do
  • Host a craft night with all of your girl friends
  • Have a mommy daughter or son date
  • Have a smoothie night using tropical ingredients
  • Take your kids to a restaurant that has an indoor playground and let them loose
  • Go swimming - we LOVE the indoor swimming pool at the Legacy Center in Lehi
  • Paint your toenails - I wish this is something that I could do by myself right now!!!
  • Get your hair cut
  • Always have FHE
  • Set up an indoor obsticle course
  • Buy yourself flowers - these will allow you to think about summer
  • Plan your summer time vacations
  • Take a trip down south for the weekend
  • Have an indoor picnic
  • Go outside and enjoy the beauty of winter and sled, ski, skate or make snow angles and snowmen.
  • Set up the tent indoors and pretend to go camping with your family
  • Get a good nights rest - lack of sleep can add to the blues

These are just a few suggestions that I've been able to think of. I know winter can be long and boring for some but just remember spring is around the corner and not too far away.





5 comments:

John & Peggy said...

I like the part of going outdoors and doing snow angels or snowmen. Remember Alaska and our outdoor activities. A good snowball fight is fun with a few cautions. Feed the pigeons or ducks in a park. Great ideas.

Whodathunked! said...

My personal favorite, was move to where it doesn't have the horrible weather or snow. But I guess we have already discussed that one. Coming down to visit would be a great alternative. It was around 62 yesterday down here.

Kristan Carter said...

What a great post. I am getting really tired of being inside...I liked all of those ideas...We have been going walking and I think it has done us both good. I will see you saturday, sorry I was in the shower when you came by.

Heather said...

Oh Tessa... I woke up this morning (Sunday) and thought... hmmm.. it feels like maybe I missed Tessa's shower.. I hope that's not the case.. I remember she posted something on my blog with the date.. I better check.

DAG DAG DAG!!! I'm so sorry I missed it. I wanted to go so badly, and I could've totally been there. I will come and visit you soon. I haven't checked blogs for a few days and it just didn't sink in deep enough when I read it the first time. Please forgive me.

I hope it was super fun.

I LOVE this post by the way.. great suggestions for the winter blues queen here. I told myself I could have January.. but in February I have to snap out of it. I am trying. Thanks for all your ideas.. I will have to try some out. Marie and I have been running at BYU twice a week for a while, that is a life saver. I am so out of shape. anyhoo.. love ya and I promise I will visit soon.

banananutmeg said...

A few days after I read this, I saw that they have tulips at the Walmart and couldn't resist buying some to fill my home with a little SPRING! What an unexpected difference it has made! Great post!