Saturday, August 30, 2008

1st Day of Kindergarten

The first day of school...we have all been waiting for this day to come a long time. Sadie's birthday is Sept 13th and she missed the deadline by 13 days last year, this did not make our little girl very happy, especially when she watched all of her friends get on the bus last year. So to be able to go to school this year was very exciting.
After our school's back to school night two weeks ago, Sadie met her teacher and was also giver her first homework assignment which was to be brought back to school on the 1st day. We had soooo much fun making this doll look like Sadie. I hope all of her homework will be this much fun and crafty. You know I pulled all of my craft stuff out to help.
On our drive over to the school, (yes we live just far enough away that we don't get a bus = 1.6 miles) Sadie was singing her own little song about how she was excited to go to school, which then got Kurt and myself singing with her. We got to school and she found her friend to sit next to on the mat. She couldn't stop smiling and looking around taking in her new classroom. I too couldn't stop looking around the classroom, this is where my child is going to be for the next several months and I wanted to see everything and everyone that Sadie will be involved with.
Mrs. Sarkady read The Kissing Hand to the students and their parents and then had us trace our hand and our child's hand to exchange when it was time to leave. Sadie was the first one done and was so excited to sit back down on the carpet. So off she went as excited as can be. I found a mother in our ward that I started talking about car pooling, while Kurt watched Sadie situate herself into her colored square. Then out of nowhere to my total surprise, I hear Sadie crying and sobbing to Kurt... "Don't leave me Daddy, don't go!", over and over again. I was doing so good until that moment. I lost it, I lost it bad!!! I was one of those mother's who had to leave the room and find my own little space out in the hall. Kurt calmed her down and with the help of her teacher she was back with her friends and in her square while Kurt was out in the hall calming me down. Thankfully, when I picked her up from school she said she loved school and had so much fun. Let's hope she keeps that attitude for a long time.

5 comments:

Tyler and Julia said...

Ah Tessa, I'm worried that the same thing will happen to me when it's time for us to send Aubrey off to school; I'll be a mess! There's just something about sending kids (especially our oldest ones) to school when they're still so young & their backpacks are still bigger than they are! :) Sadie's a very smart little girl & I know she'll be a great student! Good for her! :)

Hess Clan said...

It is hard to believe that Sadie is old enough to be in school! They grow up so fast--I am sure I will be in tears when Jaxon goes to school too--it will be a bittersweet moment.

romanrobertaloftus said...

"It's harder on the moms than it is on them", someone told me once... She will be fine... She is so smart, and the fact that she is a little older than most of them makes her the leader and the biggest helper! And yes, it's harder to send the fist one to school. I can't wait until Caleb goes to school everyday, all day!!

Scott, Mandi and the boys said...

How sad...I would have lost it too and I am sure I will on Karter's first day next year. Hope she loves it. I am sure she will Sadie is such a cutie and gets along with everyone!

Lisa Danielson said...

She is so cute! They grow so fast!! I just made my blog private and want to send you an invite- email me at danielson.lisa@gmail.com- thanks!