Monday, December 22, 2008

Handmade Ornaments

My heart has been softened and I wish I could take back everything I ever said about handmade ornaments. Early this year I told Kurt how much I love perfect Christmas trees. I love walking into boutiques and looking at the matching ornaments, color coordinated ribbon and the nice expensive decorations. It doesn't stop with the tree, I also want the whole house to be perfect from decorations to the candle scent. I can't help it, I'm just that way, and it's a dream I'll probably have until I die. Back to the handmade ornaments, I even went as far as saying that I didn't know what I was going to do when our kids bring home ornaments that they made at school and want to hang them on our tree. I know, I know, I'm a terrible mom. Well that day came, and I have to admit I was taken back and so touched by the little red sled made out of popsicle sticks with Sadie's school picture glued onto to it. I melted and let her put it where ever she wanted to. I still want a perfect tree, but now I want one with perfectly beautiful handmade ornaments.


FYI: At this very moment we are getting dumped on and my poor husband is out there plowing away and will probably be doing so for the rest of the day. Thank you Kurt for working so hard for our family!!! Also a big thanks to our neighbor Scott who has used his snow blower to clear our sidewalk every time it has snowed. I really do appreciate that.


4 comments:

banananutmeg said...

when we lived in Green Bay we had a mystery service do-er that stopped by every few weeks to snow-blow our super long driveway and front walk. It was wonderful! Before we moved, I caught him in the act and it was a tiny old man in our ward...i couldn't believe a little old guy would be clearing OUR snow! So wonderful of him.

That ornament is totally cute. I have one more year before Reese starts bringing them home...and that's when we'll get a 2nd tree.

Hess Clan said...

I am like you I love a perfect-matching tree, but I love also love the tree with homemade ornaments-popcorn wreaths and all that jazz. So my solution, someday, two trees-one in my living and one in my family room.

Tyler and Julia said...

You should see my Mom's Christmas ornament collection. I didn't dare put any of them onto the tree this year because of Paxton grabbing everything lately, but I also didn't want him to ruin the sleds made out of popsicle sticks, the "stained glass" window ornaments made out of tin foil & colored plastic wrap, or any of the others that my sister & I made years and years ago. I can't wait to see what ornaments our kids bring home from school now, too! :)

Brittany & Barry said...

I'm with you, Tess. I love Christmas perfection too, but I had to give it up for the sake of children's happiness. Most of my cute Christmas decorations are broken or displayed with glued-on heads (i.e. nativities)...argh. I don't think we have to wait till we die, though...just till kids are grown (and out?). :) Merry Christmas!