Thursday, November 6, 2008

Traditions


I love traditions!!! Before Kurt and I got married, we talked about traditions that we wanted to have with our family. We decided on annual vacations, BYU football :), one on one time with kids, holiday stuff, and my favorite...to have homemade beef stew and rolls on the first day of snow. So last night we had our 9th "First Day of Snow Beef Stew Dinner". Because our kids hate soup, it was just Kurt and myself, so we dressed it up a bit with candles and our nicest bowls, (one day I'll actually have china and the whole shebang, but for now what we got will have to do). It definitely is something I look forward to and I hope we can create more fun traditions. Please tell me some of your favorite family traditions, I'm always looking for fun things to do with my family.
FYI: that is not a picture of my beef stew just one I found on the internet, but it looks pretty darn close to what mine looks like. I would have included the recipe but I don't exactly know what I do, I just throw a bunch of stuff in and let the crockpot do its thing.

7 comments:

banananutmeg said...

crockpot stew sounds PERFECT. Seriously...how do you make it?
I've never made stew before, what kind of beef should I buy?

I remember when you started this tradition :o)

jaredandjen said...

I love stew. No one else in my house will eat so I don't get to make it very often but I made some last week when it started to get really cold. It is the perfect fall/winter food.

Kristan Carter said...

Yum...that is a really fun tradition...I need to know how to make that...sounds good, easy and FAST. Thanks again for watching Kali for me...I owe you one.

Emily Call said...

Yummy! It sounds really great. I will get back to you on the whole family traditions thing... we have some, but I can't think of them right now.

Tyler and Julia said...

Tyler & I have many different traditions too, but for now, off the top of my head, I can tell you about a couple of traditions that we have. The first one is to have a dessert called "Ghosts in the Graveyard" every year around Halloween. It's a dessert made with chocolate (and/or vanilla) pudding mixed with crushed Oreo's, and Mother's English Tea cookies on top so that they look like tombstones. You can also put ghosts made with marshmallows on top, but that part's too hard for me so I usually skip it. :) It's REALLY yummy. Then, I've made a goal to try and have an annual "Favorites Dinner" in January, where I make everyone's favorite meal one night for dinner. We'll see what we can work out this coming January. When can we spend time with you guys again? :)

ottspot said...

That is so fun! I come from a family with lots of traditions, but Bryce's family had very, very few. So I find that creating and carrying on traditions is entirely my job! What a fun way to make a normal day special.

hatch said...

I hope it is Ok that I stopped by. I found your blog on a link from Lisa's. I went to Ricks college with Kurt. It was alot of fun. You have a beautiful family. This blog thing is such a fun way to re-connect with people.

Fall is my favorite time of the year too. It really is a season full of tradition. I love your stew tradition. We do not get much snow though.